Samurai Cavalry


Another addition to my growing Samurai Skirmish force.  These are more of the Wargames Factory Plastics.  This time from the Samurai cavalry boxed set.  You get 12 riders in this boxed set with the options to arm them with Katana, Naginata or Bows. Also, you get more shoulder pieces than in the boxed set, which allows for a heavier armored appearance.  As I am doing my models for the later Sengoku period I opted for Naginata armed cavalry.


This kit also comes with a wider array of headpieces and war fans that I am also using to accentuate my remaining foot samurai.  The horses are on the slight side, compared to their riders.  This looks somewhat odd, but is actually in keeping from what I have read about the horses used by the Takeda cavalry.  The sculpting on the horses is a little spotty around the heads, with the "head down" charging model having very little detail around the head and an appearance more befitting a 6-10mm sculpt.  That said, still a great value and an easy way to build up a cheap cavalry contingent.
Another nice addition for this sit is the Horo rather than just the normal Sashimono.  This allows for marking a Messenger or otherwise give a 3D change. The model does have a pretty heavy seem, so I will replace the one shown a puttied up version later.

Here is a different approach using the Sword arm and a different helmet style.

He will be the first for my Uesegi contingent.

Comments

  1. Wargames Factory are definitely in the cheap and cheerful category but you've really made something off them. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. They have made this experiment a little less costly as I work on my skills that is for sure.

      Delete
  2. The riders look perfectly fine, and I am pretty sure the horses are deliberately somewhat undersized compared to European mounts. They are a bit lacking in sculpting detail, though. Regardless. they will work OK on the tabletop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they would look better based in large formations, but they are fine until I get around to collecting some better sculpts.

      Delete
  3. From illustrations I have seen, the horses appear undersized so these mounts look perfectly reasonable.

    Each of your Samurai posts makes me long for a half-day session of Samurai Battles. Some day, we need to get SB on our gaming schedule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I just played another game of Lion Rampant with these, and am now quite taken with both sets of rules. Now we just need to find some time.

      Delete
  4. They look terrific. I'm not a fan of the manufacturer, but with your painting and basing they are sufficient unto the day. I've recommended them to a friend who does samurai.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, although if he is thinking about Skirmish gaming, I am finding the Spears and Naginata to be fairly fragile. I think these minis work best grouped together on unit bases.

      Delete
  5. Those are terrific mounted samurai. An inspiration to me when I get around to painting Takeda Calvary. I picked up a few boxes of them at the last Wargames Factory sale. I love your basing style, it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment