Some 16th Century Goodness to end out the month.


I decided to end out July by finishing these colorful fellows.  I have been working on them off and on for three months now, and finally got them based and complete.  They are meant to be the front rank for my Impetus "German Men at Arms" unit as part of my Charles V army.  The German men-at-arms are a weaker than their Spanish and Italian counterparts but have the interesting option of forming a larger unit to retain their Impetus bonus a little longer.  

As with all of my heavy cavalry for the period so far, these are Wargames Foundry figures, and they are excellent models.  I went with some printed banners for a change of pace, and of course the 'leader' figure at the center.  This gives me four complete stands of Men-at-arms, so I couldn't resist doing a group shot


I really like the color and pageantry of heavy cavalry for this time period.  I know the light cavalry work the work horses (so I have a lot more work to do for this project.), but these units look really striking on the battlefield.  Which is the best motivator to keep working on the project.


Not to be left out, I finished a few more Samurai for my Lion Rampant skirmish project.  This brings one of my 4-man Saga size units up to full strength for the first time.  Does this mean I will actually get all of the elements enlarged?  Don't hold your breath.  Although there is still half a year remaining.

Here is a group photo.  I am trying to mix up the paint schemes to help draw the eye away from the duplicate and triplicate castings in the force.  

Also making its way over the finish line is a kit-bashed General from the Wargame's Factory mounted Samurai boxed set.  I have already let my views be known about this set, so I won't rehash it here.  Suffice to say I plan on adding two more models to the Takeda cavalry, and then searching out some better metal alternatives.  For this model, I used a torso and head from the Foot Samurai Boxed set to make him stand out.  

Comparison with his Uesegi counterpart.
As for the rest of the boxed set, they will meet their destiny on the tabletop this October if all goes according to plan....


Comments

  1. Fantastic work on your cavalry unit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's hard to mess up the Foundry castings.

      Delete
  2. Some great looking finishes, the knights steal the show though

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. Only 10 more to go and the it is down to the handgunners...

      Delete
  3. Excellent progress on both projects but especially the heavy horse for your Renaissance project. Looking forward to seeing these Big Boys on the gaming table.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Renaissance HC/EHC are hard to resist, aren't they?
    Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly are hard to resist especially on the battlefield!

      Delete
    2. Yes they are, although now I am being inspired to try and convert the new Perry light cavalry into jinetes

      Delete

Post a Comment