Lord willin' and the water don't rise

So, I woke up Thursday morning to find my bridge had been lifted off its moorings and the safety line I tied to it last fall was the only thing keeping it from heading to the neighbor's.

The creek that runs through my front yard usually is only about 6-18" deep for most of the year.  My little foot bridge has about 4' of clearance, except during the melt-off.  Normally this is not an issue as I have it anchored with some re-bar and put 50lb of weight on one side to keep it in place.  (Perhaps you can see where this is going....


As I pulled away from the house, the river looked at about the same height it crested last year.  Then it rained,..  hard....




I took these photos at sunset, and the creek had not yet crested.  (That would happen 2 hours later, and 6" later)

Thanks were a little better Friday morning.




Not model related, but I had the odd opportunity to see my yard become a lake.  I thought I would share.

Comments

  1. High water is a concerning sight. Was you house ever in jeopardy?
    Did you see the story about the guy whose truck disappeared into a wash out in Adams County? He escaped unharmed but his truck fell fifteen feet into the crevice which cut the highway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It stayed away from the house, but overtopped a section of the driveway. I lost about a 2'x 15' section of yard to erosion. I am going to need to figure out a stabilization plan as it is getting closer to some trees.

      Delete
  2. Having a crek on your property is pretty cool most of the year - except during heavy rains!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just likes to remind me it's there every few years. Putting the bridge back will be the biggest issue. It is not exactly light.

      Delete

Post a Comment